Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Enjoy The Obstacles

7/23/08

In my martial arts school, I have two teenage kids testing for 2nd degree Black Belt.

I prefer to make testing more of a process than an event. My students have a much more valuable experience if they develop a performance mindset in the months leading up to testing; in other words, if they learn to “get in the zone”. So rather than having one big day of testing, the whole thing takes AT LEAST 3 months, with 2 qualifying exams before the actual date. I call the 3 month preparation experience “Bootcamp”.

I’ve noticed some interesting things coaching bootcamp, and one phenomena is almost universal: There’s always at least one major obstacle standing between a student and their Black Belt. Maybe it’s bad kicking habits, or trouble remembering required curriculum. It might be poor conditioning (although anyone going for Black Belt better be in shape), or even psychological. Whatever it is, each person has their own “stumbling block”. Annoying, discouraging, aggravating, but true. And essential.

The obstacles between where you are and where you’re going are essential for you to grow.

Becoming a Black Belt should be a transformational experience. On the other side, you should be able to look back and say “I am different than I was before”. And the only way for this to happen is to get past your obstacles, physical or mental. My ultimate goal in coaching a student to Black Belt is to change their self-image for the better, and conquering roadblocks is a great way to make those changes. In fact, these obstacles are so necessary that I’ve been known to create them for students who had it too easy.

Both of my two 2nd Degree Candidates came to Bootcamp with different issues. One is the most naturally gifted jump-kicker in the school, but lacks eye-focus. The other is extremely strong and athletic, but has had trouble conquering the hip technique required for round and side kicks. These are major issues, and all other abilities aside, will cost them their 2nd Degrees if not overcome. Their obstacles, through Bootcamp training, have been clearly illuminated and now must be conquered.

Will they rise to the challenge? I don’t know. Only if they want it bad enough.

And that’s where self-image is changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment