Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thanks Adam & Mrs. Still

9/5/08
The deafening roar of the engine stills passers-by. Small children cover their ears as I peel through the parking lot, driving my 2-wheeled intimidator onto the sidewalk in front of the school. I expertly kick the stand, pull the key, and get ready to head inside.

“Where’s your helmet?”

I turn around to find Adam Lattimore. Adam is a Black Belt and a sophomore at NFA.

“I’ve got one, I just… It’s… okay, talk to you later.” I get inside quick.

It’s busy in the school, just toward the end of Advanced Kids class. As I’m kicking off my sandals, Adam’s mother comes out of her seat.

“Master McShane, where is your helmet?”

My excuse (having a big hard Irish head) isn’t satisfactory. “You need a helmet.”

“I have one, I just… you know…”

This episode happened last week. I’ve thought a lot about it, and decided that Mrs. Still and Adam are right. I need a helmet.

Part of me argues that it’s not cool to wear a helmet. Another part says that I couldn’t possibly go fast enough on my 49cc Yamaha to hurt myself. An even dumber part chimes in and says “you’re a trained martial artist, you’ll just dive roll to safety.”

Of course, all of this rationalization is pretty dumb. I should be wearing a helmet. It’s smart to wear a helmet. Even more, a friend got in a motorcycle accident a year ago and would have died if he wasn’t wearing a helmet. But there’s another huge reason: my students see me riding around without one, and it sets a terrible example.
Picture

Most Martial Arts Instructors already know what I’m about to say, but it’s worth repeating: You teach more with your actions than with your words.

You can lecture all you want. You can describe, explain, diagram, blah blah blah. But students will learn far more by observing your actions. A good teacher must lead by example; otherwise, his inconsistent actions will erase the meaning of the lessons he preaches.

It’s like I say to my advanced Red Belts. If I tell a group of Yellow Belts that they must practice with intensity and focus, but then they witness Red Belts practicing sloppily, the Yellow Belts will imitate what they see, not what they hear. That’s why being a Red Belt or Black Belt is such an important position; you’re not training just for you anymore. You’re responsible for teaching those Yellow Belts by example. In fact, Yellow Belts are responsible for teaching the White Belts the same way.

Picture
My Chuck Norris shirt screams 'even toughguys ride scooters.'

So Mrs. Still and Adam, I got a helmet. I don’t love it. It makes my head look even bigger.

It creates a ton of wind resistance (which means a lot when your bike only does 30mph), and I look like I should be chasing John Connor around Los Angeles. But I don’t have to like it. I have to set the example. I’m not wearing it just for me.
A week later, I got this email from Mrs. Still:
Master McShane,
Bravo!!!  I was pleased to read your blog entry.  I work as a nurse, and  have all to often seen the  injuries sustained by drivers not wearing helmets.  The sight of your head inside of a helmet is indeed prettier than the sight of the damage done to a precious head left unprotected. It is not just your own actions that you need to worry about, but the actions of everyone else who is on the road(or sidewalk) with you.
Thank-you  for leading by example,
Jennifer Still
Adam Lattimore

No comments:

Post a Comment